Will ChatGPT save your job - or take it over?
Wondering whether ChatGPT will make you more effective, or do your job so well that you are no longer needed?
ChatGPT is one of the new generation of AI tools. You can ask it for help and it can turn its hand to a huge range of tasks.
ChatGPT as a Python coder
Today I used it to write a very simple but useful computer application. The task would have taken me half an hour or so. ChatGPT did the job in a few seconds, and the code it write was well-structured, readable and well commented.
So far so good - but what about other tasks?
I decided to make a short video about what I'd done. (Watch this space to see it when it's ready).
I knew that my first step would be to write a script.
Could I ask ChatGPT to help me do that?
Here's what happened next.
ChatGPT as scriptwriter
Here's what I typed:
Earlier today I got ChatGPT to write a simple application for me. Now I want to make a video showing the process and the result. I'd also like to explain why the automation of small coding tasks can have a huge impact on personal productivity in the medium term. Help me by writing a rough script for the video.
Here's how ChatGPT responded:
In conclusion, automation can have a huge impact on your personal productivity in the medium term. By using automation tools, you can save time, reduce errors, and focus on more important tasks. So why not explore automation tools and see how they can help you become a more productive developer? Thank you for watching!
Want to play?
What do you need to do to use OpenAI's ChartGPT demo? I asked ChatGPT. Here's what it said.
- Go to the OpenAI website (https://chat.openai.com/) and scroll down to find the "Chat" demo.
- Click on the "Chat" demo button to open it.
- Once the demo is open, you will see a text box where you can type in your message. Type in a message and hit the "Enter" key or click the "Send" button to send your message.
- ChatGPT will respond to your message with a generated response. You can continue the conversation by typing in another message and hitting "Enter" or clicking the "Send" button again.
- You can also adjust the settings of the demo by clicking on the gear icon in the top right corner. Here, you can change the model, the temperature, and the maximum length of the response.
Give it a spin, and let us know how you got on!